One of Goa’s finest creations is the Mae De Deus Church in Saligao, Bardez. Its illuminated view in the evenings and the nights has a paradisical charm. That is the best time to view this exquisite piece of Gothic architecture in Goa.
Originally situated at Daujim, a tiny suburb of Old Goa in the 16th century, of which today only the tallest cross on a pedestal is seen amongst shrubs and coconut groves. The church dedicated to the Mother of God or Our Lady came to be built at Bardez in the 19th century. The Saligao Church was inaugurated on November 26, 1873 and its foundation stone was laid on February 7,1867.
It was a dream of the Saligaonkars to see this Church as they had made many efforts in this direction. One such Saligainkar was Francisco Salvador Gama Pinto who discussed the proposal of building a church at Saligao with the archbishop of Goa. The Archbishop followed up this proposal and the inspector of Public works, Major Martins, was asked to draw up a plan for a Gothic Church.Image Credits: Mae de Deus Church, Saligao, by Lovell D'souza