Aldona is the seventh parish established by the Franciscans in Bardez. They started their ministry in Coimavaddo, where they built the original church of the village, in the year 1569. Very soon, the need for a bigger and more centrally located church was felt and a second church was built in 1596, at the present location. As this was a mud structure, a new and strong edifice, which exists till date, was made ready before 1610. The parochial residence and the present sacristy were added by 1898 and the tower on the left side came up in 1927.
Legend has it that one night, a band of thieves crossed the river into Aldona to rob the Church. At the base of the hill, a young boy appeared to the group’s leader and cautioned them not to proceed. The thieves ignored the boy and entered the Church. As they forced open a chest of valuables, the church bells began to ring. Some of the thieves drowned in the river trying to escape. The leader and some others were captured. When the leader was taken past the main altar, he identified the statue of St. Thomas as the boy he had seen earlier who warned him not to rob the Church.
Weekdays: 7 a.m. and 8 a.m. – Konkani
Saturday: 5:30 p.m. – Konkani
Sunday: 6:30 a.m. and 7:30 a.m. – Konkani
8:30 a.m. – Children’s Mass
9:45 a.m. – English
5:30 a.m. – Konkani