The Minister for Public Works Ramakrishna ‘Sudin’ Dhavalikar said that the government will immediately take up the repairs of around 80 bridges around Goa, which are more than 30 years old; some of them even dating back to the Portuguese regime in the region.
Speaking to the pressmen, on Tuesday, the Minister for Public Works said that the stability of all the bridges in the state is being checked, and around 80 bridges were found to be in dilapidated condition.
“We would be taking up the reconstruction of these bridges in phase-wise manner, with those in extremely dilapidated condition to be repaired on priority basis,” he added.
Dhavalikar further stated that most of these bridges are minor bridges or culverts and auditing of such bridges in North Goa has been completed. “Meanwhile the work of identifying dilapidated bridges in South Goa continues,” he noted, informing that the public works department had arranged to entrust this task to consultants. It may be recalled that last summer, two people had died as an old bridge connecting Sanvordem and Curchorem villages in South Goa had collapsed. Last week, the state government had also begun the process of formulating a policy to conserve and protect the Portuguese-era structures in the state and to give a new lease of life to them.
Source:: The Navhind Times