No power tariff hike, for now

Panaji: Power Minister Nilesh Cabral on Tuesday said that there will be no power tariff hike till the time the electricity department is in a position to provide uninterrupted 24×7 electricity to its consumers.

“No power hike in the domestic segment has been made. The
10 paise rise effected by the department is only for the industry. We have
corrected the errors by removing three slabs of power tariffs for the domestic
segment. Henceforth, instead of 0 to 100, 101 to 200 and 201-300 unit slabs,
power bills will be calculated from 0 to 400 units,” he explained.

Addressing media persons after chairing a review meeting
with officials of the electricity department at the secretariat, the minister
said that they have been able to get the short-term solutions to the problems
in the last 15 months.

“The department will be able to fix 95 per cent of the
problems of the power sector by May, and
all the remaining problems will be resolved by September 2020,” he promised.

Elaborating the strategy adopted for short-term
solutions, Cabral said the department has identified and completed critical
requirements to do away with load shedding, provided ring feeding/alternate
circuit in case of breakdown on lines and upgraded the capacities where the
equipment/lines were already overloaded and were choking.

He also informed that the department is completing the
works which had been tendered years ago spending crores of rupees. The work had
been abandoned by contractors. The remaining work will be completed without
cost overruns, he said.

The department has decided not to go ahead with extra
high-power sub-stations at Tuem and Verna due to financial constraints.

“We have completed Verla-Canca line, overcoming all
hindrances. Now, we are going to set up
an unmanned EHV sub-station at Saligao. We are also shifting 50 MV sub-station
from Cuncolim to Thivim, which will give relief to the areas like Assagaon,
Siolim, Calangute, Baga, Sinquerim and remaining part of coastal Bardez
taluka,” he elaborated.

Cabral also said that capacity of the all old EHV
sub-stations will be upgraded.

Source:: The Navhind Times

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *